A survey course in Java for programmers
- groups of 5-12 people,
- a survey of the whole universe of Java apps: web, desktop, mobile,
- save time: assumes some prior experience with programming,
- learn not only the language, but also Java coding conventions and technologies,
- hands-on workshop,
- 1290 EUR
- instalment payment plans available for private persons
more information here
Our course is intended for those who:
- want to learn the most commercially popular programming language and already know how to program in another language,
- know the basics of object-oriented programming and want to learn more about popular practices and design patterns,
- want to learn Java and discover the most popular technologies associated with it.
Requirements: we expect prospective students to have at least basic programming fluency (in any language).
During the classes students work on Windows, but we introduce some elements of Linux.
Valuable knowledge and skills
The main idea of the course is teaching programmers not only Java's syntax and basic libraries, but also its idioms, conventions and practices. We expect course participants to possess at least a basic programming experience; therefore, during the workshops they can focus on, for example, important differences between Java and other (particularly scripting) languages.
- HTML and CSS
- CMS Joomla
- AngularJS and Single Page Applications
- PHP for programmers
- Symphony and Doctrine – web applications
- Zend Framework
- Preparation to Zend Certified Engineer exam
- Zend Framework - supplemental training for the ZFCE exam
The course encompasses Java as a language and several technologies important in the JVM world:
- web applications using servlets and JSP pages,
- applications with a graphical user interface (Swing), including applets,
- connecting to a database: both direct and using JPA (ORM),
- processing XML and JSON data.
64 hours are of course not enough to become an experienced Java programmer, but knowledge and skills acquired during the course should allow programmers to participate in Java-based projects and gather further skills by experience.
A graduate of our course will be able to:
- write in Java a web application with business logic based on JavaBean components that connect to a database, and presentation based on JSP;
- implement a web application on a servlet container or an application server (Tomcat and Glassfish will be used during the classes);
- write a desktop application that contains business UI components with database connections (tables, forms, lists), using platform-independent Swing library;
- write a program that uses web services returning XML or JSON;
- use and create simple JPA objects that comply with Enterprise Java Beans 3 specifications.
There are currently no entries
Enter your e-mail address and we will notify you about future dates
For public sessions, you can sign in yourself or delegate one or a few employees. The prices given in the tables are for sessions in our London training rooms, per one person.
On customer's request we conduct trainings in London, other locations in UK and anywhere in Europe, either at the customer's premises or in any other place, on either customer's hardware or ours. For on-demand training costs see here.
The open (public) classes take place in our training rooms in London (directions).
Teaching modes available:
Day classes (all locations) - the course consists of three training blocks (4 days + 3 days + 3 days); 8 hours per day (from 9:00 to 17:00) including a lunch break. The blocks take place every two or three weeks, and the whole training in this mode takes less than 2 months.
Weekend classes (all locations) - classes take place during the weekend: Saturdays and Sundays, every two weeks, from 9:00 to 17:00 (8 hours per day). The whole course consists of 5 such weekend sessions, therefore, the whole course ends after about 3-4 months.
In all modes the course consists of 80 hours.
The course price includes refreshments: sweet snacks as well as hot and cold beverages.
Detailed course schedules
On-demand training costs and registration
The prices provided in the general tables cover the cost of an open (public) training for one person.
In the case of an on-demand training at the Customer's premises, you are required to provide the necessary facilities (room, computers, projector) and we will send an instructor to run the training. The price for a session is calculated for the whole group.
The cost does not change significantly along with the number of participants. There is no minimum number of participants but we recommend no more than 10-12 people because the training becomes much less effective with a bigger group..
The cost of an on-demand training consists of:
- the base training cost, plus
- travel and accommodation charges for the instructor
The base price of an on-demand training varies, but it is usually around the price of an open training for 3-5 persons (regardless of your group size).
The typical travel and accommodation price for the EU/Schengen zone is under 1250 GBP (1500 EUR) for a 5 day session. We do our best to keep it as low as possible in your location.
The payment can be in GBP or EUR, whichever you prefer. The quotation we will send you with the exact amount in your currency will be valid for 3 months, regardless of any changes in the exchange rate.
For more information, or to register to a group, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us know:
- the course(s) that you are interested in,
- your location,
- your preferred dates,
- the number of people you wish to train,
And any other questions that you may have.
We can also customise the training program of any of our trainings (or create a new one) according to your needs – whether you want to focus on particular solution used in your company, include material concerning a technology we do not usually cover, or create a tailor-made training.