The training for those who want to use Python for computing, analytical and reporting tasks or automating everyday tasks (server and administration tasks, application logs analysis, etc.).
Unlike Python for programmers, we spend less time on deep understanding of more advanced language mechanisms (which are needed to create bigger programs). We concentrate on good understanding of the functions needed in daily work – we practise installing programs written in Python, analysing (parsing) text files, communicating with other programs, etc.
- Language syntax and basic instructions
- Configuring popular editors for comfortable Python programming
- Running programs, different ways to run a program (in Windows and Linux environments)
- Creating portable versions, ready to run without Python
- Handling options passed to programs from command line
- Reading and parsing text files, regular expressions, screenscraping. Handling problems with special characters.
- Working with the file system – browsing folders, creating files…
- Running Python from other programs (shell scripts, Perl programs, etc.)
- Running other programs from Python, communication with running programs
- Communications via TCP/IP, FTP and telnet handling. Downloading files via HTTP.
- Installing and using additional libraries from PyPI.
During our courses we use the latest Python version (branch 2). In case of on-demand courses, it’s possible to use any version required by the Client, according to his needs.
Audience and prerequisites
The course is intended for engineers, scientists, analysts, admins and other people who need to write simple programs.
We assume that participants of this training have enough programming skills to create at least a program checking if a given number is a prime (in any language).
Course participants receive completion certificates signed by ALX.