The course is intended for Linux system administrators who will be responsible for the installation, configuration and maintenance of the PostgreSQL database. The training programme covers all elements necessary for the effective cooperation with programmers team on the project based on PostgreSQL.
We focus on practical issues that system administrator has to face to successfully work as a database administrator. Starting from installation , through the most important configuration parameters, basic efficiency tuning, system security and users management. We will also discuss the tools used to diagnose the most common problems and we will tackle the problem of creating backups.
Our instructors have many years of experience with PostgreSQL, both as administrators and as programmers. One of our trainers is a PostgreSQL contributor and a regular speaker at the world’s largest conference on the topic.
- Packages or self-compilation?
- Essential compilation parameters
- File system
- Directory layout
- Configuration files location
- System logs location
- Command line client_psql_
- Critical parameters
- Kernel shared memory settings
- Database restart modes
- Processes started by PostgreSQL
- stats collector
- clients processes (backends)
- Data integrity guarantees
- WAL files
- Write-through and write-back caches
- Performance tuning
- Hard drive and RAID type selection
- Key parameters influencing performance
- Performance and reliability balancing
- Performance problems diagnosing
- Users and roles
- Granting permissions
- Host Based Access control ( _pg_hba.conf_file)
- Authentication methods
- Password method
- Authentication with SSL certificate
- Current queries listing
- Finding and eliminating the problematic processes
- Database maintenance
- VACUUM order and autovacuum service
- statistics and_ANALYSE_command
- pg_dump program
- Backups formats
- Restoring data from a copy, including partial recover
- Backing up users and permissions
- Other methods of creating backups
- pg_dump program
Audience and prerequisites
We recommend that the participants are familiar with Linux administration.
Course participants receive completion certificates signed by ALX.
There are currently no entries
Enter your e-mail address and we will notify you about future dates
- Online (English) – your home, office or wherever you want
- Warsaw (English) – Jasna 14/16A
- any other location (London, UK, EU) on request
Open training groups are no larger than 8 participants.
Private training can be conducted for groups of any size, according to the Customer's preference. To assure high quality and good learning environment, the group size should not exceed 12.
On-demand training costs and registration
The prices provided in the general tables cover the cost of an open (public) training for one person.
In the case of an on-demand training at the Customer's premises, you are required to provide the necessary facilities (room, computers, projector) and we will send an instructor to run the training. The price for a session is calculated for the whole group.
The cost does not change significantly along with the number of participants. There is no minimum number of participants but we recommend no more than 10-12 people because the training becomes much less effective with a bigger group..
The cost of an on-demand training consists of:
- the base training cost, plus
- travel and accommodation charges for the instructor
The base price of an on-demand training varies, but it is usually around the price of an open training for 3-5 persons (regardless of your group size).
The typical travel and accommodation price for the EU/Schengen zone is under 1250 GBP (1500 EUR) for a 5 day session. We do our best to keep it as low as possible in your location.
The payment can be in GBP or EUR, whichever you prefer. The quotation we will send you with the exact amount in your currency will be valid for 3 months, regardless of any changes in the exchange rate.
For more information, or to register to a group, please contact us at email@example.com and tell us know:
- the course(s) that you are interested in,
- your location,
- your preferred dates,
- the number of people you wish to train,
And any other questions that you may have.
We can also customise the training program of any of our trainings (or create a new one) according to your needs – whether you want to focus on particular solution used in your company, include material concerning a technology we do not usually cover, or create a tailor-made training.
For individual persons for whom all scheduled open training is inconvenient, we offer individual consultation. Virtually all of our training courses are available as such.
During individual consultations, while it can be a direct equivalent of a group training in terms of subject covered, we can also provide more than that – we can solve problems, help choose appropriate solutions and provide advice on the most effective use of chosen tools.
The price includes:
- course materials,
- snacks, coffee, tea and soft drinks,
- course completion certificate,
- one-time consultation with the instructor after course completion.