Category: Databases and SQL
The course is intended for experienced Excel users – especially data analysts – who want to learn about relational databases. Default database used during this course is MS Access; on demand it can be any other relational database (contact us for details).
The course focus on SQL languages as a tool to retrieve and analyse large data. As natural consequence this course including also database designing module and data manipulation module. This is mayor difference between this course and the other Access courses, which mostly teach how to use Access interface effectively.
- Introduction to relational databases
- Understanding relations
- Table, row, column
- Key, primary key
- Foreign key, references between tables
- SQL syntax
- Writing simple queries – SELECT statement
- Using functions and operators
- Using criteria – WHERE clause
- Sorting – ORDER BY clause
- Extremes – TOP clause
- Using multiple tables – JOIN clause
- Aggregation – GROUP BY clause
- Criteria for aggregated sets – HAVING clause
- Combining query results – UNION operator
- Designing databases
- Design process
- Design notation
- Best practices and typical problems
- Database schema (DDL)
- Understanding data types
- Creating tables – CREATE TABLE statement
- Using AutoNumber
- Inserting, modifying and deleting data
- Adding data – INSERT statement
- Editing data – UPDATE statement
- Removing data – DELETE statement
Audience and prerequisites
The course is intended for experienced Excel users, as well as both novice and experienced Access users, who want to learn SQL language.
Before attending this course, students must have:
- Basic computer knowledge, such as keyboard and mouse skills.
- Basic file-management skills. The student should know how to navigate to folders and files on a computer running Windows Vista / Windows 7.
- Basic familiarity with writing Excel formulas is recommended.
No prior database experience is required.
Course participants receive completion certificates signed by ALX.
There are currently no entries
Enter your e-mail address and we will notify you about future dates
- Online (English) – your home, office or wherever you want
- Warsaw (EN) – Jasna 14/16A
- any other location (London, UK, EU) on request
Open training groups are no larger than 10 participants.
Private training can be conducted for groups of any size, according to the Customer's preference. To assure high quality and good learning environment, the group size should not exceed 12.
On-demand training costs and registration
The prices provided in the general tables cover the cost of an open (public) training for one person.
In the case of an on-demand training at the Customer's premises, you are required to provide the necessary facilities (room, computers, projector) and we will send an instructor to run the training. The price for a session is calculated for the whole group.
The cost does not change significantly along with the number of participants. There is no minimum number of participants but we recommend no more than 10-12 people because the training becomes much less effective with a bigger group..
The cost of an on-demand training consists of:
- the base training cost, plus
- travel and accommodation charges for the instructor
The base price of an on-demand training varies, but it is usually around the price of an open training for 3-5 persons (regardless of your group size).
The typical travel and accommodation price for the EU/Schengen zone is under 1250 GBP (1500 EUR) for a 5 day session. We do our best to keep it as low as possible in your location.
The payment can be in GBP or EUR, whichever you prefer. The quotation we will send you with the exact amount in your currency will be valid for 3 months, regardless of any changes in the exchange rate.
For more information, or to register to a group, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us know:
- the course(s) that you are interested in,
- your location,
- your preferred dates,
- the number of people you wish to train,
And any other questions that you may have.
We can also customise the training program of any of our trainings (or create a new one) according to your needs – whether you want to focus on particular solution used in your company, include material concerning a technology we do not usually cover, or create a tailor-made training.
For individual persons for whom all scheduled open training is inconvenient, we offer individual consultation. Virtually all of our training courses are available as such.
During individual consultations, while it can be a direct equivalent of a group training in terms of subject covered, we can also provide more than that – we can solve problems, help choose appropriate solutions and provide advice on the most effective use of chosen tools.
The price includes:
- course materials,
- snacks, coffee, tea and soft drinks,
- course completion certificate,
- one-time consultation with the instructor after course completion.